A litte bit of life

A litte bit of life

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tis the Season

It's that time again.  Beautiful lights, tacky sweaters, and many pounds to be gained.  Just like any other child in America, our kids are so excited about Christmas.  This year we are doing things  a bit different and will most likely stick with this new plan.  First off, our kids do not believe in Santa.  Ok...go on with your huge gasp and think of us as one of those super religious families who are robbing our children of something magical.  Done yet?  Good...keep reading.  We could care less if other parents teach their children about Santa, but we have just kind of made him a fun fictional character.  We will still do cookies for Santa, and all that, but they know it is for fun.
This year we have told our girls that they are getting one present each and then will have an amazing day planned for us.  We plan on getting them a couple of extra things for fun and as a good surprise, but they don't know that yet.  I recently asked both girls:


Me: "Emma, this year we are only doing one present each. If you have to pick ONE thing that you really want, what is it?"

Emma: "OOO an Ipad that plays games!"

Me: "Ummm, ok what's your second?"


Emma: "A cinderella dress."


Me: "What about you Rylee, what do you want?"


Rylee: "Lipstick, oh and Cheetos, I weelly like Cheetos."


I was entertained by their answers, but more shocked about how content they were with the one present.  Even Emma tonight said: "I cant wait to open my one gift!"  I don't remember many of the gifts I received as a child on Christmas but more of the fun times I had with my cousins, the hidden chocolates all over Grandma Roller's house, and laughing to the point of tears.  Thats what I want for my kids.  Our plan this Christmas is to simply enjoy each other.  We will play games, read scripture, sing songs, decorate christmas cookies, watch Elf, paint ornaments, and of course our gifts.  The girls are so excited about the crafts and cookie making.  I'm not saying you can't do all of this and have the fun part of Santa as well. My fear is that my kids will one day think they were not good enough that year to receive the present we most likely could not afford....like an iPad. ;)

Of course, I cant have a blog without quotes:

Rylee: "Dad, you wanna see my boobies?"

Macon: "RYLEE! Inappropriate" 


(Rylee laughs and rips open her onsie"


Macon: "RYLEE!! No ma'am (trying not to laugh). Where did you learn that?"


Rylee: "At church, in Sunday school."


We were running late one Sunday for church.  I was fixing Rylee's hair in the car and she ended up with this silly looking bun on her head. As we were getting out of the car I was teasing Rylee about her silly bun. Emma leans over and whispers to Macon "It looks like a big piece of poop on her head."


Eating dinner and Emma and Rylee were arguing with each other. Rylee made some random comment Emma did not like.

Emma replied: "YOUR LYING!!!"

I responded: "Emma! That is not nice, she's not lying."

Emma: "Well I don't know if she is ever telling the truth!!"

Me: "Thats not very nice either." 

Emma: "Well isn't that what you told me?! If I lie sometimes then you wont know when I am telling the truth?". 

I had no response. Subject change.


Emma kept singing "Heeeyyyy pretty lady....op op Oppan Gangnam style" (Macon told her they were saying pretty lady)

Me: "Emma I think they say some inappropriate things in that song."

Emma: "No they dont, besides you dont even know Chinese."



























MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments:

Post a Comment